What is on your list of survival skills to learn?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What is on your list of survival skills to learn? within the Featured Topics forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; What is on your list of survival skills that you would like to learn? Why? How do you plan to learn these skills? Books? Classes? ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: What is on your list of survival skills to learn?

Administrator

What is on your list of survival skills that you would like to learn? Why?

How do you plan to learn these skills? Books? Classes? YouTube videos?

What skill do you think is the most overlooked?
    bigwheel likes this.

Super Moderator

Skills I want to learn: Pottery, alternative construction (i.e. sandbag buildings), trapping, fine tune my soap making.
    How will I learn: Books and trial & error.
    Most Overlooked: Food preservation
    Cricket likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

I agree with Auntie , she said it just right .
    Auntie likes this.
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

My list is crazy long. There are so many survival skills that I would like to get proficient with, but most are related to the desire to live a self sufficient lifestyle.

I can fish. I enjoy fishing. I absolutely, positively, without a doubt LOVE eating fish, but somehow, I have never been the one to clean the fish. Likewise, I have never butchered a chicken, or any other critter. Nor have I learned to preserve the meat, long term. I think it is high time I learn.

I suck at tying knots. How is it that as a kid I was a Girl Scout that got every single badge, but I still struggle with knots?

I can shoot (mostly rifles) but I can't properly take a gun apart and clean it. I think it is way past time for me to learn. I also want to get proficient with handguns.

I make a nice campfire, and I can cook over fire without issues, but I have never made fire without fire, such as matches or a lighter. I want to learn multiple ways.

I could keep typing all night, but I know if I do, it will overwhelm me. I need to start with one thing at a time.

I try to learn from all sources, including friends, family, forum communities, and YouTube, but the best way (in my opinion) is to get out there and do it. I have also been looking into some local meetup groups that get together to teach and learn a lot of the skills I am most interested in spending time doing.

The most overlooked skill? The basics are obvious (shelter, water, fire, food) but I think a lot of people overlook security beyond the gun they are carrying.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

^^^^^^ Hmmm ..............
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    ^^^^^^ Hmmm ..............
    Are you making fun of me?

Maybe it's because I raised a couple of boys (a couple of girls too) but for some reason the guys always did the "dirty work".

Unfortunately, that means I didn't learn that part of survival.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Are you making fun of me?

Maybe it's because I raised a couple of boys (a couple of girls too) but for some reason the guys always did the "dirty work".

Unfortunately, that means I didn't learn that part of survival.

Never, my Dear....... well okay, maybe just every once in a while.
    Cricket likes this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    My list is crazy long. There are so many survival skills that I would like to get proficient with, but most are related to the desire to live a self sufficient lifestyle.

I can fish. I enjoy fishing. I absolutely, positively, without a doubt LOVE eating fish, but somehow, I have never been the one to clean the fish. Likewise, I have never butchered a chicken, or any other critter. Nor have I learned to preserve the meat, long term. I think it is high time I learn.

I suck at tying knots. How is it that as a kid I was a Girl Scout that got every single badge, but I still struggle with knots?

I can shoot (mostly rifles) but I can't properly take a gun apart and clean it. I think it is way past time for me to learn. I also want to get proficient with handguns.

I make a nice campfire, and I can cook over fire without issues, but I have never made fire without fire, such as matches or a lighter. I want to learn multiple ways.

I could keep typing all night, but I know if I do, it will overwhelm me. I need to start with one thing at a time.

I try to learn from all sources, including friends, family, forum communities, and YouTube, but the best way (in my opinion) is to get out there and do it. I have also been looking into some local meetup groups that get together to teach and learn a lot of the skills I am most interested in spending time doing.

The most overlooked skill? The basics are obvious (shelter, water, fire, food) but I think a lot of people overlook security beyond the gun they are carrying.
    Sounds like you need to grab one of those sons and go camping. Catch some fish and learn to build a fire without a lighter, then clean and cook those fish.
    Cricket likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    Sounds like you need to grab one of those sons and go camping. Catch some fish and learn to build a fire without a lighter, then clean and cook those fish.
    I have 2 camping trips already scheduled for this fall and early winter. I am sooooo ready.
    Auntie likes this.

Super Moderator

Get a magnesium fire starter and practice before you go. It takes a little practice but you can do it! Don't put the magnesium on your favorite plate, the magnesium might ruin it. Not that anyone in my family has ever done that. Watch a few videos about cleaning fish and you will be set.
    Cricket likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links