Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

White gold vs Yellow Gold price difference?

This is a discussion on White gold vs Yellow Gold price difference? within the Economic, Precious Metals, Investing, Finance forums, part of the General Discussion category; Can anyone tell me the difference? I have two rings that I would like to sell to one of those "we buy gold" shops, and ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

White gold vs Yellow Gold price difference?

Can anyone tell me the difference? I have two rings that I would like to sell to one of those "we buy gold" shops, and both rings weigh exactly .3 oz each. Just wondering if the yellow is more or less valuable than the white. They both say 14K.

Re: White gold vs Yellow Gold price difference?

They both weigh the same but the difference is what they are mixed with. Usually yellog gold is mixed with pure gold and zinc and copper, while white gold is mixed with silver adn palladium. White gold is usually more expensive if it has titanium and/or platinum mixed in with it. People tend to perfer white gold to go with skin tones as well as it matches a diamond better. White gold is usually scratch proof depending on which alloys/metals are mixed with it.
    ~~Any fool can make a rule, and every fool will mind it~~

Quote Originally Posted by DavyJones
    They both weigh the same but the difference is what they are mixed with. Usually yellog gold is mixed with pure gold and zinc and copper, while white gold is mixed with silver adn palladium. White gold is usually more expensive if it has titanium and/or platinum mixed in with it. People tend to perfer white gold to go with skin tones as well as it matches a diamond better. White gold is usually scratch proof depending on which alloys/metals are mixed with it.
    Ok, now I have really learned something. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Wizturd
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyJones
    Ok, now I have really learned something. Thank you!
    I second that. Very informative.

Thank you all for your responses. I went to a different shop and they gave me $65 for both rings.

white gold is mainly palatium (low grade platnium) with alittle real gold in it, it is about the 1/3 the price or less but they sell it for the same price of real gold

Good to know, Thanks
    He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.
    Albert Einstein

Seriously?! Only $65 for both?! You said they each weighed .3 oz for a total of .6 oz which is about 17 grams, at 14k you should have been able to get WAY MORE, unless you actually meant they weighed .3 grams each but if that were the case you would have gotten less. So if you had 17 grams of 14K gold and gold is selling for about $1330 per oz the price of 17 grams (11 in pennyweight) scrap gold would be about $425.00. You would get less than that since they have to make some money too, I would have asked for about $375 for both rings, I wouldn't go lower than $350 because he will wait till gold is back up and sell it for even more. If it was truly .3 oz each or .6oz total it is 17 grams or 11 grams in pennyweight and worth over $300 at 14k. They ripped you off, next time weigh it yourself and use an online gold scrap calc. I use this one:
    Scrap Gold Value With Live Gold Price - GoldCalc.com
    It would have been simple to go in and know how much your rings were worth in scrap metal alone. Sry you only got $65 bucks for both, I would have given you at least $100, lol kidding you should have gotten over $300

I thought white gold was just gold plated with Rhodium, any jewelers on here that know for sure?

White gold is like white chocolate, not really real

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads