Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Hunting With A Crossbow

This is a discussion on Hunting With A Crossbow within the Crossbows, Compound, Longbow, Slingshots, Airsoft, Slings, Blowguns forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Hi, If you want a more challenging experience the next time you go hunting, you might want to consider using a crossbow for the experience. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hunting With A Crossbow

Hunting With A Crossbow

Hi,

If you want a more challenging experience the next time you go hunting, you might want to consider using a crossbow for the experience. This is a great way to get your adrenaline pumping and to give you more of a hands on experience when you are heading out to hunt your favorite game.

For more
    edit admin -- please don't use spam links in signatures. Thanks.

Re: Hunting With A Crossbow

I personally use my compound bow. Like it alot & makes hunting with a gun an almost unfair advantage.

Hunting with a crossbow is illegal in our state unless you’re confirmed as a handicapped hunter

I’ve used them at our R&G club. It was a lot of fun to shoot, but without much practice, I found it took me two or three times longer to nock an arrow than with my compound and three or four times longer than with my recurve bow. I think I’d need some general handling practice to learn to nock and shoot faster before I’d use one to pursue game. They are very accurate though.

I’d have to get way faster at cocking and nocking a crossbow before I would use one in a defensive action (against a man or beast). I can accurately press an arrow every 5-6 seconds with a recurve. At present, I can’t imagine getting close to that with a crossbow. I’m sure there are people who can.

Administrator
    If the SHTF and you were using your bow for hunting -- how many times can you reuse an arrow or bolt before it turns pretty much useless? This is the aspect I find most appealing about bow hunting is that you can reuse your ammunition quite a bit. I'm just curious, in reality, HOW much you can reuse it?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chorizo View Post
    If the SHTF and you were using your bow for hunting -- how many times can you reuse an arrow or bolt before it turns pretty much useless? This is the aspect I find most appealing about bow hunting is that you can reuse your ammunition quite a bit. I'm just curious, in reality, HOW much you can reuse it?
    Arrow life expectancy depends on a collection of variables: the composition of the arrow and fletching, the type of terrain you’re hunting in, the speed of the arrow, how often you miss and what you hit when you do miss, etc. The most accurate arrows aren’t always the most durable. Sometimes you have to choose a compromise between longevity and accuracy. I use carbon arrows on large game (fewer shots and fewer misses) and aluminum arrows for small game (several shots and misses). The aluminum seems to stand up better to glances off trees and rocks, but often aren’t as perfectly straight as the carbon arrows… they’re cheaper too.

Wooden arrows don’t stand up well because they’re more fragile. I read where people say they’ll just make arrows in the woods as they need them, but I doubt many have actually done that with any degree of success. In my mind that's fantasy thinking that contributes to non-survival. Primitive natives had very specialized stone tools, processes and a lot of practice to make arrows. It wasn’t a quick transition from tree branch to finished arrow… and then they still broke fairly easily.

Consistent weight, length and flexibility from arrow to arrow is very important to hitting things reliably. A local archery shop will make arrows (500 & 400 spine) for me at around $5.00 each (in groups of six with field tips and fletching installed). I’ve had some of those arrows last several years and have used them a lot. You can buy just shafts, tips and fletching in bulk and make your own as you need to if you have the time and patience. If I were concerned about having enough arrows to last a long SHTF scenario, I’d buy very sturdy shafts and go that route.

I’ve collected about 50 arrows over the years. I really can’t imagine a situation where exhausting those would be a concern… maybe heavy combat of some sort I suppose. I would recommend saving your pennies or bottle money and buying half a dozen sturdy custom-made arrows (for your bow draw weight and length) every few months until you have a good quantity (24 – 36). That really should cover regular use for quite some time and give you highly reliable performance... more meat on the table.

Administrator
    Great advice and write up Anvillron.... I think some people think they'll get 2000 rounds and it will last them a lifetime. But, when it comes down to needing it, that stuff will go rather quickly, IMHO. Arrows/Bolts seems to be an awesome route to go if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chorizo View Post
    Great advice and write up Anvillron.... I think some people think they'll get 2000 rounds and it will last them a lifetime. But, when it comes down to needing it, that stuff will go rather quickly, IMHO. Arrows/Bolts seems to be an awesome route to go if you can.
    Oh, I agree. Like anything of real value, it takes a little time to acquire the necessary skills and materials, but you start where you can and it seems to come together. I don’t think you can put a real count to arrow use… too many variables. I’ve lost new arrows on the second shot and then a couple weeks ago I broke an arrow I bought around 1992. Not everything can be projected, but you can prepare for reasonable use. Even five ragged arrows and a 30lbs fiberglass bow are better than none. More than likely, you’d get hundreds of shots out of them.

I started with a cast-off youth compound bow and wooden arrows that our oldest son used in middle school competition… 28lbs draw-weight and 26” draw-length. He was into it years ago at the age of 10 (he’s 33 now). I shot that bow in the backyard for a few years just for fun. I graduated to a cheap used adult compound and finally to the compound and recurve I have now. Just start somewhere and let the skill and knowledge develop. If I had to have only one, survival-wise, a simpler bow (recurve) is better in my mind, but then everyone has their own perspective.

Banned
    I will soon be offering both longarm and pistol variants of rapidfire, magazine fed, spring powered dart guns. The pistol version will be lethal to 10 yds or so, the rifle version to 30 yds, and if you give up the rapidfire option, lethal to any range that a crossbow is.

One of the reasons I favor a recurve bow for a survival bow:
    C5GUY likes this.

Administrator
    Wow, she's fast! I don't know how many hundreds (or thousands) of hours of practice she has in but she makes it look easy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads