EMP protection for handheld unit
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on EMP protection for handheld unit within the Communications forums, part of the Urban and Rural Survival category; Handheld Ham radio is stored under the jeep seat in a lockable metal drawer when not in use. The jeep is parked in a metal ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By AnotherSOFSurvivor
  • 2 Post By paraquack
  • 2 Post By paraquack

Thread: EMP protection for handheld unit

Handheld Ham radio is stored under the jeep seat in a lockable metal drawer when not in use. The jeep is parked in a metal building when not in use.

I think this should be pretty effective protection from EMP. In a metal building, In a vehicle and then in a metal box. Box has a rubberized coating on the inside .

Any thoughts on this set up.
    Survival Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days. Prepping What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months Seeds and livestock What you need for long term subsistence.

That rubber coating is really what matters, of course if the building is totally sealed and VERY well grounded then it should be fine no matter what.

Maybe even rubberizing some portions of the outside of the box as well to avoid metal-to-metal contact.

I went down to the Army EPG in Huachuca late in 2015 to watch the latest generation INC.3 WIN-T vehicles (MATVs with comms packages) and PRC154/155 radios being tested.

One of the tests was simulating an emp against the vehicles...even with polymer housing on the Prc154s stored in MATVs and 1065s that were tested they all got fried.

Beyond that HF comms sucked due to the ionization, I am not the smartest but the eggheads were explaining that traditional insulation/grounding wasnt too good against a high powered EMP/MED (mass electron discharge, I think they called it)

So YMMV...I am sure those guys just wanted to make GDIT look stupid which is fine by me

sent from a paper cup and string via quantum wierdness

Quoted from (or stolen from): "Electro Magnetic Pulse Protection" by Jerry Emanuelson
    For the full article Electromagnetic Pulse Protection - EMP - Futurescience.com
    "For small portable electronics, though, completely covering the electronic equipment in heavy-duty aluminum foil makes a good faraday cage around the equipment. The foil covering needs to be complete, without any gaps. Wrap the device in plastic or put it in an insulated box before wrapping the covered device in foil. (Otherwise, the foil may simply conduct the EMP energy into the device more effectively.) A single layer of foil may not be adequate. In order to enclose the equipment in a nested faraday cage, place the foil-covered device in a plastic bag, such as a freezer bag, and wrap that bag completely in aluminum foil. If you really want to protect the equipment against a large EMP, add another layer of plastic and foil. The layer of plastic needs to be the thickest plastic bags that you can easily find. (They don't need to be terribly thick, but do try to find some heavy-duty bags.)

That kind of messes up the idea of being able to use the handie talkie as necessary. By a spare to carry.
    azrancher and RJAMES like this.
    Hidden Content Our Last Best Hope!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I do have a radio mounted in the Jeep so I only take the hand held occasionally. Sounds like I should put it in a plastic bag then wrap in foil- best two layers.

Thank you for your feed back.
    Survival Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days. Prepping What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months Seeds and livestock What you need for long term subsistence.

Foil is cheap, I'd pop for 3 layers.
    A Watchman and RJAMES like this.
    Hidden Content Our Last Best Hope!

Thanks for this advice. I'll give it a try

Sponsored Links