Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How many Generator Watts do I need for my home

This is a discussion on How many Generator Watts do I need for my home within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; 3000, 7000, 8000? How do you figure how many watts you will need when selecting an automatic switchover generator? I have propane gas right now ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How many Generator Watts do I need for my home

How many Generator Watts do I need for my home

3000, 7000, 8000? How do you figure how many watts you will need when selecting an automatic switchover generator? I have propane gas right now and want to get a generac generator. I do not want to get something that will not be enough. Is there a special formula by reading the meter or figuring some type of calculation chart?

Re: How many Generator Watts do I need for my home

That's one of those "what if" situations. What if you want to run the furnace and the well and the washer and maybe the TV and an Xbox and a few lights and the freezer comes on and the fridge is still keeping the beer cold. If you are planning on living on a generator, you start setting priorities as to what appliances can be turned on at the same time. Remember, our great -grandparents may not have had electricity. It's time to look into alternative standards of living to decide what you really want to run. Pull the main fuse or breaker fro a coupla days and see what you miss the most. Be sure to eat all the ice cream first. The only formula I can come up with is find out the wattage of each appliance that may be running at the same time, add them up and make the generator 1.25 times that wattage.

It's depend on you what's you want to use on the generator,these thing mostly use in every house ,Refrigerator 120V x 6A = 720WWater Heater 240V x 20A = 4800W2 ,Lamps 120V x 1A = 120W,Pump 120V x 1A = 120W,Total connected load = 5760W.I suggest you buy a generator that is at least 10% bigger than what you think you'll .
    I also want to suggest to you,please use the generator on the had wiring because the chance of the short circuit increase when you use the generator.
    Last edited by Carl; 07-18-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Carl has the correct idea, but due to surges when items turn on, I would add an additional 25%. Don't want to short change a fridge when it cycles too often or you'll be looking for a new one. JMHO

Super Moderator
    How big is your house?
    Always remember- there's a wealth around you

We have a 16K and we still do not run everything from it. The fuse panel that comes with it is limiting. Ours is 16 K and the fuse panel has 16 breakers so we had to choose what we needed and wanted to be run by the generator. We are happy with ours and we installed it ourselves. Hubby is very handy

First of all Carl, my refer only draws 1.1 amps. A Friend whom I have been helping out with solar, just bought his new refer and it only draws. .6 amps All appliances are not created equal. The surge when mine starts is about 2.6 amps, and only lasts about 1 nano second. My chest freezer is exactly the same power draw.

Watercan lady. I have 3 gennies and my largest is actually 7kw. I can and have run my entire house on it for several hours at a time , due to the fact there are several days a year of total clouds when I get little or no solar.

Leon, how big your house is has no bearing whatsoever on solar. What is a factor though, is how MANY people live there and how many of those are kids. Kids are the biggest downfall of solar. They waste power (and everything else) just being kids.

You must learn to live within the solar limits, it will not learn to live within yours !

Solardon. If you really plan on living on a gennerator full time, I would suggest that you buy a water cooled unit. They are usually tractor or industrial motors, with a radiator and very reliable. However, they are also very pricy. Propane will generally last the longest, and next would be diesel. Gas is the shortest lived unit.

This is a short pic of someone attempting to wire in his house

This is a pic of an illegal attempt at bootleg wiring. By the way, generators can do this very same thing. Be sure you ground your unit correctly and read the entire owners manual before attempting to hook it up to your house. Also, a generator transfer switch is required by law to prevent this from happening. Lineman get killed now and then because somebody wired in their gennie and fired it up during a power outage. The linemen not knowing this, grab the wires and this is the result. A generator transfer switch prevents this from happening

How many Generator Watts do I need for my home-diy-20solar.jpg
    sparkyprep likes this.

Jackbooted Thug
    I have a 7.5k generac. It is good for everything but the A/C.
    That is to say, it runs the fridge, freezer, three or four lights and a computer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads